Tuesday, April 1, 2008

An Alligator Lives in Cincinnati

Have you ever seen an alligator get mad and fight? Remember the images of when the late Steve Irwin would sneak up on "a BEAUTY?"

Even under a steady dose strong medication, Colin still likes to make his presence known to the PICU staff, just like a huge gator in a swamp. At four different times today, Colin woke up, and was mad that his hands and arms were being restrained. Maybe 'mad' is not the right word...'upset,' too mild...OK, he was downright angry. Upon noticing that Jane Fonda style sit ups are nearly impossible with hand and arm restraints, Colin figured out the next best exercise would be pelvic thrusts.

The only procedure that Colin had done today was having a PIC line inserted. The PIC line is a form of intravenous access that can be used for a extended period of time. This will make blood draws much more comfortable for him.

Colin also started eating again, early this morning, with the help of a feeding tube.

Overall, his progress is good. We would like to thank each of you for your thoughts, comments, and prayers. They are helping us in more ways than you can imagine.

With Love,
Dan & Nicole

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little people are just down right mighty! I'm glad to hear he has such spunk. Hopefully the days will pass quickly and he will be out of those restraints!

Karen Smith

Lori said...

I see you have maintained your sense of humor Dan! Thought I had the wrong website when I saw an alligator pop up on the webpage. All great signs that Colin is taking this on the same way he's taken on all the other obstacles he's faced - with gusto! Gotta love that. His determination is inspirational but I'm guessing it's exhausting for everyone involved in his care! Thoughts and prayers from NJ. Love, Lori, Steve, Christina, Ryan and Jenna

Anonymous said...

Carmen, Marco and I are so glad to hear he is doing so well....he is a little fighter! That proves how "strong" he really is, and that he will pull through all of this. Seeing him laying in the "huge" bed made me cry tears of excitment....knowing in a few more weeks this all will just be a memory(Nikki can add to her "Colin" journal that made me "BALL"...)....We are praying for all of you and I know that all of the prayers are being answered.
Get some rest, much needed rest...and we will see you back here in Texas soon! Love,Megan

Traci said...

Colin,
I think you are doing a great job! All of your friends said hello and we are really missing your beautiful smile! I love you kiddo.

Dan and Nichole,
Thanks so much for the updates. Everyone is always asking how you all are doing and it's great to give them up to date information. I hope you are all well. We miss you all!
Love,
Mrs. Fair

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling Colin! When I am sick I always wanna wake up and get up! Happy to hear the surgery is still in great progress. I can't wait to hear another blog message!
Love,
Jenna
xoxo